Thursday, January 7, 2021

Spitfire Amber Ale

 

          When I pick up beer from the UK, I usually expect it to be something with an extensive history behind it. Many of England’s best breweries are so old they were making beer before the place I live even existed as a city. To that end, I was interested to learn that Spitfire Amber ale is such a recent addition to the Shepherd Neame lineup. First brewed in 1889, Spitfire Amber Ale was made in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, fought in the skies above Kent.

Originally, Spitfire Amber was brewed as a one off, meaning it would be brewed once and sold until supplies ran out. However, public reaction to the beer was so good that Shepherd Neame elected to add the beer to its regular rotation. Response to Spitfire was so good the beer earned a Royal Warrant. This means the brewery can publicly advertise That they supply their product to the royal family, earning the company an extra level of prestige. Spitfire pours into my glass crystal clear and the color of copper with hints of burnt orange. The head is packed, off white and decently lasting.

          On the nose, the first thing I notice is an up front mineral quality. Minerals lead quickly into notes of caramel and ripe fruit mixed with undertones of soda crackers. The finish gives me English hops in the form of fresh cut grass as well as peppercorns. Spitfire’s aroma is very much what I would expect from an English bitter. It’s all malt, fruit esters, and bitter hops in the finish. All with the subtlety and restraint I like so much in British beer.

          As I take that first sip, Spitfire offers me a smooth, medium bodied ale with sweet malt flavors up front. Sweet malts taste like caramel and soda crackers. Fruit esters come out in the center tasting like ripe orchard fruits. Somehow those fruits taste somewhere between peaches and granny smith apples. These qualities combine seamlessly, leading into a crisp, assertively bitter finish. Spitfire’s bitterness is enjoyable in that it’s assertive without being too aggressive or overpowering.

          I think Spitfire deserves a score of 8.5 out of 10. It’s as smooth, balanced, and tasty a bitter as I’ve had in a long time. Every element of this beer’s flavor and aroma provide very decent character and overall balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...