Monday, January 4, 2021

Deschutes Jubelale

 


          When I went to the liquor store, I didn’t realize I was purchasing a beer with so much history for the brewery that makes it. According to the Deschutes website, Jubelale is the first beer the brewery bottled. Apparently, it was initially bottled by hand at the pub in Bend, Oregon. In the years since, Jubelale has become a tradition for fans of the beer, having become a way to welcome the coming winter with its release every October. The name Jubelale reminds me somehow of Christmastime.

To that end, maybe I’m missing the mark by reviewing this beer more than a week after Christmas has come and gone. Given that the beer is typically released in October however, makes me think I’m okay to review this beer in January. I feel I can take this position because beers like Jubelale are usually marketed as winter beers, rather than specifically being marketed as Christmas beer. So, as long as we have plenty of winter left I’m going to take today’s review and just leave it here for your consideration. Jubelale is crystal clear and a deep, sullen ruby colored ale. Thin streams of CO2 support a rocky, cream colored head with good retention and lots of lace.

          My first impression of Jubelale’s aroma is that it’s deeply malty with hints of dark, dried fruit. Malt and dark fruit lead into a center where I find a roasted coffee somewhere between coffee and cocoa powder. Yeah, definitely leans more towards the cocoa. There’s also an overall spiciness to the aroma, lending structure and complexity to the aromas of malt and dark fruit. Finally, I pick up a hint of sweetness taking the edge off an aroma that would otherwise be overly intense.

          On the tongue, Jubelale is smooth, full bodied, and robust with a notable roasted quality. Malt flavors take the form of dark, dried fruit. Very reminiscent of dates up front with hints of coffee and roasted grains lending support. As with the nose, there’s a residual sweetness that helps take the edge off of Jubelale’s more intense roasted quality. The finish is short and dry.

          Give Jubelale 7.75 out of 10. It’s a big, bold, malty beer and yet it’s balanced and drinkable. In other beers the maltiness and roasted flavors would make Jubelale something that could only be sipped at. Instead, the sweet notes in the center and the beer’s overall smoothness make Jubelale totally quaffable. Christmas or no Christmas, I could picture myself enjoying this beer on a cold winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...