Monday, December 14, 2020

Export Porter 1750

 

          I don’t know why, but I’m always pleasantly surprised to find a new craft beer from somewhere in Europe. Somehow, craft beer feels like it should be the exclusive purview of Canada and the U.S. That doesn’t seem to be the case these days. With new breweries showing up in Scotland, Denmark, and nations across the continent, perhaps Brouwerij Kees shouldn’t be a surprise. Having tried beer from some of Europe’s other craft breweries I was excited to try this Baltic porter from the Netherlands.

Brouwerij Kees opened its doors in the town of Middelburg in 2015. Soon after, Ratebeer voted it one of the world’s best craft breweries. Today, Kees produces almost a dozen styles of beer, some traditional old world beers, and others inspired by north American styles. As I researched this review, I was surprised to see how soon after opening this brewery expanded sales of its products as far away as Canada and the U.S. Export Porter 1750 pours into my glass thick, viscous, and as black as anything I’ve ever seen. The beer supports a rocky, coffee and cream colored head with good retention.

          The nose is an enticing combination of chocolate mousse, roasted oats, and an alcoholic richness that reminds me of a really nice bourbon. Hints of licorice in the center add enjoyable depth to the beer’s aroma. This is where I find aromas of ripe dark fruits, somewhere in between cherries and figs. The whole profile feels like it’s held together by just the barest hints of tobacco, holding the aroma together like a web.

          On the tongue, Export Porter 1750 is rich, lush, and nothing short of seductive. Alcoholic flavors of bourbon lead the charge, followed up by flavors of dark, ripe fruit. Flavors of roasted grain come in on the center, just enough to give the flavor structure and support. There seems to be a cereal flavor in here that reminds me of oatmeal. It gives the moutheel a smoothness that reminds me of an oatmeal stout. The finish is only slightly bitter, cleansing my palate for the next eagerly awaited sip.

          I’m giving Export Porter 1750 an 8.25 out of 10. It’s rich and lush, complex, and at the same time accessible in its drinkability. Flavors of alcohol are present and noticeable, but not in a harsh, rocket fuel fashion like in cheaper, more “ghetto” style strong beers. If anything, the alcohol content is as smooth and luxurious as the rest of the beer. This is a perfect beer to drink on a cool winter night in front of an open fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...