Saturday, February 13, 2021

Mellow Gold Munich Helles

 


During the course of the calendar year, I drink certain beers on a strictly seasonal basis. For example, I just can't drink a stout or porter in the summer. They're too thick, so I save them for winter. I likewise drink most lagers in the summer when I need something more thirst quenching. And when it comes time for a lager, I sometimes like to try something like a Munich Helles. 

Named for the German word for "pale," the Helles is a more malt accented lager than the mainstream north American model. It's also rounder and fuller in body than these lager, not focusing so much on that dry, crisp finish. Rather, it's more focused on a soft, bready malt character. This gives the beer enough character to stand up to a light dinner while still being refreshing enough to enjoy on a hot, summer day. Mellow Gold is crystal clear, light amber in color. Basically it's the color of ripe hay. The head is fluffy, white, and lasting.


Mellow Gold's aroma starts off malty sweet with gentle aromas of soda cracker. Aroma of soda cracker is supported by a very faint hint of slightly toasted grain, present at levels that are barely notable. Definitely a background, supporting aroma. Malt builds slightly in the center, giving an overall rounded quality before fading into a finish that gives just a hint of peppery European hops.

Taking a sip shows me a lager that is smooth, rounded, and refreshing. Sweet malt flavors lead the charge before moving into a subtle hint of toasted grain. Toasted grain isn't present enough to make the beer taste at all grainy. Rather, it gives a subtle toasted flavor that gives the beer's flavor a little backbone and structure. Sweet flavors move through the toasted grain center, leading into a finish that is short, dry, and crisp in nature.

Mellow Gold is a very decent example of a Munich Helles. It's smooth, sweet, and malty in flavor with none of the esters you might find in other types of German lager. The flavors and aromas are delicate and very nicely balanced. Overall, I'd be willing to give Mellow Gold a solid 7.5 out of 10 and would recommend giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...