Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Kinabik Pilsner

 


Whenever I review a beer I’ve never had before, I try to judge the beer on two admittedly broad criteria. First, how well does that beer compare against the style of beer it bills itself as. Secondly, I judge the beer against how good I think it tastes. I do this because I sometimes find myself enjoying a beer despite it not being a “strictly correct” interpretation of a certain style of beer. After all, the craft beer is known more for its innovative nature than for its strict adherence to traditional style guidelines.

Kinabik Pilsner for example, lists itself simply as a pilsner which means it could be a German, bohemian, or American style pilsner. Beer advocate narrows it down for me, classifying Kinabik as a German pilsner. This tells me to look for grainy aromas with no fruit esters, and crisp, bitter flavors, with a dry finish. It tells me a little more than this of course, but you get the idea. Knowing what style of beer this is, tells me what sorts of sights, smells, and flavors, I should look for when I review a beer. Kinabik Pilsner is crystal clear and pale amber in color, much like the color of ripe wheat. The head is rocky, bone white, and lasting.

Taking a sniff, Kinabik’s aroma starts off with a mild graininess reminding me of a combination of soda crackers and fresh baked bread. This leads into a slightly rounded center where I pick up the faintest hint of lemon candy. Aromas of bread come back in, giving some support to the beer’s nose, before leading into a finish where I pick up hints of peppercorn. 

At first blush, Kinabik Pilsner is smooth, crisp, and just a little bit dry. Grainy flavors of soda crackers lead the charge before building slightly in the center. The center is where I get just a hint of fresh baked bread and a little bit of generic sweetness. Sweetness gives way quickly to grainy again, before moving into a finish that is dry and lasting, but not overpoweringly dry. Slightly dry finish blends easily with hints of bitter, European hops before fading into the background, leaving you ready for the next sip.

With an even 7 out of 10, Kinabik Pilsner walks the line between being genuinely decent and only not bad. It’s enjoyable enough with nothing unfavorable to detract from the thought of drinking it. That being said, nothing about this beer really stands out for me in a positive manner, either. It’s one of those beers that I’d drink if someone else bought it for me, but probably wouldn’t burn many calories seeking it out for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...