Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Estrella Damn

 


So far I've tasted and reviewed over four dozen different beers from around the world. I've been trying to make sure I get examples from as many different styles as possible. One reason for this is because I'm trying to educate my palate so I can determine what kind of beer is in my glass just by way of sensory evaluation. With most of the world's beers that's an achievable goal because most beer styles have specific guidelines which define the different styles of beer.

When it comes to beers like Estrella, they don't fit into traditional lager styles. This isn't a German pilsner, or a Helles, or a mainstream American lager. Instead, it seems to be simply a generic European lager. So, I find myself thinking of beers like this as the European version of a mainstream American lager. This raises the question of what I should look for in this theoretical style of beer.

For the most part I look for a beer that is rounded in the center, well attenuated, crisp, and refreshing. I don't expect a very dry finish, nor do I expect big malt up front or hop in the finish. I just look for something that is simply, generically, lager flavored. So far, that definition seems to work for me. Estrella pours into my glass crystal clear and the color of ripe hay. Thin streams of CO2 support a fluffy, bone white head with good retention.


On the nose, Estrella starts of slightly grainy. Hints of soda cracker make their presence known before moving into a sweetness I can't identify at first. Closer examination reveals a combination of corn and green apples. Green apples add a sharpness to the nose that isn't doing anyone any favors. Adjunct sweetness dominates, but I imagine I can smell a hint of leafy hop in the finish.

Taking a sip, the first thing I notice is the combination of corn and green apple. As with the nose it gives the flavor an odd combination of swwetness and green apple sharpness. The mouthfeel is smooth enough and there seems to be a soda cracker quality in the foreground. Unfortunately though, that odd adjunct green apple sweetness dominates the beer's flavor.

Overall I'm giving Estrella 5.5 out of 10. To put it bluntly, the beer just isn't enjoyable. That odd sweet green apple flavor combines with a graininess, both of which dominate the beer's flavor and aroma. I would recommend giving Estrella a hard pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...