Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Rodenbach Grand Cru

 


          I often wonder what beer tasted like before the “modern age” of beer making. When I say “modern age,” I’m referring to today’s brewing. First of all, modern roasting technology allows us to roast malted barley in an oven, rather than over an open fire as was once done. Modern roasting technology also allows more control in the roasting process, giving brewers the chance to produce a wider variety of more lightly roasted malts.

Secondly, we learned about microorganisms like yeast. Before learning about the existence of yeast and its role in fermentation, we didn’t really understand how fermenting worked. It was just something that sort of happened, resulting in beer of greater and lesser quality. So, I’ve often wondered what beer would taste like if we went back to the days when we made beer without our modern scientific amenities. I imagine some beers would naturally taste like the Flanders red ale. Not having access to yeast cultures, beer would be fermented by whatever landed in the beer.

Combine that with the build up of lactobacillus in the oak barrels used to store and age the beer, it would have been a challenge making truly drinkable beer. Thankfully, we’ve learned how to use old fashioned methods to make some of the world’s truly great beers and beer styles, like the Flanders red ale. Rodenbach Grand Cru is clear and a deep red color, with leathery highlights. Head is dense, packed, cream colored, and lasting.

          On the nose, Rodenbach is tart and fruity up front, smelling pleasantly of sour, ripe cherries. I can practically picture the juiciness of those cherries as they fall from the tree straight into my beer. Oak and vanilla lend support while softening the beer’s overall sourness. This may be my imagination but I could swear I find hints of leather hiding behind the aromas of oak. Unbaked bread lends itself to the flavors, helping the oak in its bid to soften those flavors of ripe fruit tartness.

          On the tongue, Rodenbach is smooth and medium bodied. CO2 provides a spritzy carbonation that dances across the tongue. Soft flavors of unbaked bread give a platform for up front tartness which combines deftly with flavors of ripe fruit. Flavors give me ripe cherry as well as red grape minus the tannins. The finish has a lot going on each in its own subtle fashion. Chiefly there’s an earthy quality. Earthiness blends nicely with fruit as well as leather tinted flavors of oak. All of which combines to provide a very gentle flavor profile.

          Rodenbach Grand Cru easily deserves 8.25 out of 10. Like previous Flanders Reds, this one has some great character and great balance. Tartness and flavors of ripe fruit dominate without overpowering. Oak aging and a general bready quality help prevent this beer from being too strong in its tartness. Rather, it’s a delicious, refreshing, and greatly accessible example of the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...