Sunday, January 24, 2021

Murphy's Irish Stout

 I am so happy my local liquor store carries Murphy’s Stout. The source of my joy stems from the fact that for the longest time, Guinness was the only authentically Irish stout you could find in Edmonton. As a budding beer geek, I’ve been curious to try some authentic Irish stouts that weren’t Guinness. I’ve been wanting to taste more of the “real” stuff so I have something authentic to compare against when trying north American interpretations of the style. 

As it turns out Heineken International is largely responsible for making Murphy’s available outside of Ireland. Previous to Heineken’s purchase in the 1980s, Murphy’s was pretty much local to the Irish market. Since Heineken’s purchase, Murphy’s Irish Stout has been made available in more countries around the world. And although Murphy’s hasn’t put a dent in Guinness’s market share yet, at least it’s available for people to try if they want to try an Irish stout that isn’t Guinness. Murphy’s Stout pours into my glass pitch black, supporting a packed, coffee and cream colored head. As I type this, that head is in no hurry to go anywhere.

Holding the glass up to my nose, I notice a combination of chocolate and a soft, mineral profile. Chocolate and mineral aromas lead into a center where I smell what I can only describe at first as being something grainy. It’s somewhere between bread and a more generic aroma of ripe grain. All of this moves quickly and easily into hints of roasted coffee in the finish.

Taking a sip, I’m confronted with a thick, luscious mouthfeel. The first flavor I notice is a gentle, mineral sort of flavor. It’s a mineral quality that somehow reminds me of the sea. This is followed by flavors of coffee and a supporting hint of chocolate. Just enough to slightly sweeten the overall flavor profile. All of these flavors combine nicely to lead into a finish that has flavors of roasted grains, reinforcing the preceding flavors of coffee.

I think Murphy’s Stout easily deserves an 8.25 out of 10. Murphy’s Stout is rich, smooth, and lush in its mouthfeel, which is something I look for especially in an Irish stout. The flavors are gentle, yet defined. The flavor profile has enough character to easily set it apart from lesser Irish stouts. Have this on a cold winter night, or with a plate of oysters on the half shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...