Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Five of Diamonds Pilsner

 


          Located in Lacombe Alberta, Len Thompson Fishing Lures celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2019. In 1951 Len developed the Five of Diamonds lure, painting it in yellow and black because Len himself was colorblind and could more easily see yellow. Also located in Lacombe, Blindman Brewing approached the Len Thompson factory for permission to use the Five of Diamonds trademark. Blindman Brewing got permission with the trademark royalties going to local recreational fishing and conservation programs.

Five of Diamonds Pilsner is a German pilsner, which is related to the Bohemian pilsner but does have its differences. The German pilsner has a lighter body and paler color than the Bohemian version, for instance. German pilsner is also drier and crisper, with a more lingering bitterness. Five of Diamonds Pilsner is crystal clear and a very pale amber. It’s almost paler than the color of ripe hay. Streams of pinpoint CO2 support a cloudy, bone white head with good retention.

          As I take my first sniff, Five of Diamonds hits me with aromas of grain and fresh cut grass. From here, aromas of grain continue to make their presence known. Those grains have a little depth, having a vague maltiness to them. It reminds me somewhat of graham crackers. All of this is reinforced by what I can only describe as a “brightness” in the center that somehow holds the aromas together in a more or less enticing fashion.

          Five of Diamonds is smooth and crisp, as a German pilsner should be. Up front smoothness leads directly into flavors of grain and fresh cut grass. Unlike the aroma, Five of Diamond’s flavor reminds me more of soda crackers than graham crackers. The center has a minor roundness to it, before leading into a crisp, dry finish.

          I think Five of Diamonds deserves a 7.75 out of 10. It’s a very good representation of a German pilsner. It’s crisp, dry, refreshing and boasts traditional flavors of grain, pale malts, and mild bitterness in the finish. What’s more the flavors are balanced and refreshing, making this more than just another mainstream lawnmower beer. Five of Diamonds is well worth a visit if you’re a fan of traditional German pilsners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...