Monday, November 2, 2020

Saison Dupont Review

          Also known as a farmhouse ale, the saison is a beer with origins in the French speaking region of Belgium. Named after the French word for “season,” saisons were brewed during the winter months by Belgian farmers for use the following summer. Since farmers made their own beers with what ingredients they had on hand, the saison didn’t keep to strict style guidelines back in the day. Some farmers’ saisons were more or less dry, more or less dark, or more or less fruit forward.

The one constant in the style though, was they were lower in alcohol content. The reason for this is that saisons were meant to quench the thirst of the farm workers. Today’s saisons clock in at 6-8% abv and can boast a certain complexity. Softly malty qualities support a variety of fruit, spice, and overall funky qualities produced by the fermentation process. High carbonation and a dry finish produce a flavorful, yet drinkable style of beer.

As of this writing, the saison seems very popular amongst north American brewers. Visiting your local beer store will reveal a wide variety of saisons with often creative interpretations of the style. And when done right, those interpretations compare very well to classic examples of the style. Saison Dupont is very slightly hazy and pale amber in color, sort of the color of ripe wheat. The head is billowing, rocky, and bone white in color.

          As I take a sniff, the first word that comes into my mind is perfume. After the initial aroma of yeast I smell things that remind me of a dusty old attic, but in a good way. In the middle I find something juicy and citrusy in nature. Hints of lemon drop and dried tangerine orange peels. All of this mingles seamlessly with the pepper and clove funkiness of a really good Belgian beer.

          On the tongue, Saison Dupont is medium bodied, dry, and crisp at least at first blush. Up front flavors of yeast and soda crackers lead into a very complex center. Again, flavors of orange and dried orange peel. But then along come flavors of peppercorns and Belgian funkiness. All of this leads to a finish that is dry and lasting, hosting the subtle grassy flavor of old world hops.

          Altogether I don’t mind giving Saison Dupont an 8.25 out of 10. It’s crisp, delicate, balanced, and has a lot going on. Overall, there’s a nice balance to the beer that makes this a truly wonderful beer. My only complaint in the world is that it’s maybe a little dryer than I would personally care for given the rest of the profile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...