Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Fuller's London Pride

 

On occasion, the subject of ownership comes up when discussing the quality of craft beer and the breweries who make them. Many are of the opinion that when a multinational corporation takes over a local brewery, the quality of that brewery’s product suffers. All too often, that’s exactly what happens. However, there’s a contrary argument stating that such ownership can greatly expand that beer’s exposure to new markets. Look at what happened when Anheuser Busch took over the Goose Island brewery.

According to articles posted by the Guardian, and BBC News early in 2019 the historic company of Fuller, Smith, and Turner sold the brewery side of its operation to Asahi for 250 million Euros. The sale agreement includes the historic Griffith brewery in Chiswick, where Asahi says they will continue to brew Fuller’s beers, which would allow the brewery’s 400 employees to keep their jobs.

It may be worth noting this sale may ultimately bode well for the Griffith brewery. According to the same article by the Guardian, increasing property values in London has not been good news for other of the city’s historic breweries. Young’s, for example, sold one of its breweries which has been converted into homes and shops. Either way, it will be interesting to see what effect the next couple of years will have on this brewery’s lineup. Fuller’s London Pride is crystal clear and a deep copper in color. Head is dense, cream colored, and lasting.

The first thing I notice when I go in for a sniff is how distinctly British this beer’s nose is. Which is to say it’s a melange of caramel, malt, and what smells at first like a variety of ripe fruit esters. On closer examination, caramel maltiness takes the lead, giving the aroma a certain depth. There may be a hint of bready malts in there, but it’s really the caramel that takes point here. All of this comes together in the end, fading into a sort of sweet finish.

My first impression of Fuller’s London Pride is of a smooth, medium bodied beer with pinpoint carbonation dancing across my palate. On closer examination, I’m getting flavors of caramel and a sweetness from flavors of ripe berries. Minimal breadiness works its way into the mix but without as much presence as one would hope. The finish is crisp, and assertively bitter.

Overall, at 7.5 out of 10, Fuller’s London Pride is a very decent English pale ale. It has the caramels, fruit esters, and crisp bitter finish I look for and enjoy in this sort of beer. The only real down side for me is the mouthfeel comes out a little slick. As a result there’s something lacking in the overall flavor profile that I can’t quite put my finger on. Beyond that, this is a perfectly good pint.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I used to love a pint of pride, it was my regular 20 years ago. Not had any in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever see it, go for Fullers ESB. You won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I'll definitely be trying more of Fuller's bears

      Delete

Page Turner IPA

  I put a lot of thought into exactly how I judge the beers I review. On the one hand, I think about the style of beer I'm drinking. I...